Then this evening, before jumping in with the machine, I decided to take Bilbo's unspoken advice (are your ears burning yet, Hobbit?) and starch all my cut fabric before sewing. The reason for this is that when I have a diagonal seam, I'm always wary of pulling the pieces and stretching them in one direction or another once I come to press the seams.
All started well whilst I laid out the fabric pieces on the ironing board to give 'em a good spray and press, when I realised that my rectangular pieces varied in length somewhat. Some were 5", some 5 ⅛" and some were 5 ¼"!
Grr! Any inaccuracies at this stage are going only going to multiply, so it was back to the cutting board with quite a proportion of the pieces. The good news is that I have plenty of spare fabric to use now that the quilt has been resized, having bought for the original sizing.
And now with every piece being individually measured for accuracy, and starched, I am ready to sew.