Having been given a jelly roll and a quilting book for Christmas 2010, there is no excuse not to get on with quiltmaking.

Here's what happened next...



Pages

Thursday 8 March 2012

A Self-Indulgent Whine

OK, so I have not fallen off a cliff into the fathomless void - but I am frustrated with regard to the lack of sewing opportunities that I have had in the last couple of weeks or so.

The problem is that there would appear to be a distinct lack of enough time in the statutory 24 hours per day.

Namely, I struggle to fit in what I do to pay the mortgage; keeping the house (& self) in a state on the right side of having the Environmental Health called in; putting enough E-less grub on the table; working off enough of the E-less grub exercising; playing around with a bit of dirt; and not becoming a hermit and seeing friends and family.

I do love the work that I do, but what with 'times being tough' and consequently having the nose adhered firmly to the grindstone, I occasionally have (and I am not proud of this) distinctly uncharitable thoughts toward those FORTUNATE ladies who are not tied to the work wheel and can devote more of their SPARE TIME to their hobbies including sewing and travelling and generally HAVING FUN and ENJOYING THEMSELVES.

All I have managed in the sewing line is to turn a pair of trousers up, and to make the tiniest progress of Mum's Quilt. I have done the SID around all the borders and had a little play with the daisy chains up the sashing - and I do like it very much. Hrrumph.

*Ahem.

And - breeeeeeathe. Ommmmmmmmmmmmm.

So. I am very much looking forward to being able to have 'a day with the girls' on Saturday - for the very good reason that it will be the second of the Christmas Quiltalong days for 2012 - hurrah, hurrah!

I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to tripping off the Massachusetts to Joanna's place for the day where the second installment of the FESTIVE MYSTERY QUILT (courtesy of QuiltSue) will be revealed, and I just know we will all have a warm welcome.

And if we are all very good, Moxie cat might come and say hello - but I think we might keep our threads and scraps to ourselves before she joins in!

Oh - I'm not ready!! I'd better get cutting! I had a change of heart on the background fabric...

9 comments:

  1. Those daisy chains are looking good to me. I really like them. Yes, life does take over sometimes and pushes out in all directions and leaves no room for the extra-curricular. Breath out. We'll all have fun sewing on Saturday. It's so cool that we get to travel once a month, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really pleased with the daisy chains, Joanna - I wish I could be as happy with my FMQ feathers! Practice, practice!

      Can't wait to see you tomorrow!

      Delete
  2. Ah, if I'd read this first, then 5 minutes ago I wouldn't have sent you a little "are you OK/still there" email.

    If it's any consolation*, I too regularly have more than uncharitable thoughts towards ladies who have time to sew, or sow (as it's THAT time of year again). All this renovation lark is bluddy hard work and if the rain doesn't stop (we've had another ¾" already this month) I am in danger of having a serious Sense of Humour Failure.

    * it won't be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *waves* Cooee!

      Daren't list all the 'extra curricular' scheduled for this weekend - if I get half of the planned done, I'll be happy!

      Delete
  3. PS: quilting looks FANTASTIC. Can you see the wonderful difference it makes to have done the SID and then have even and balanced quilting density ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you smart-alec, it does! {*grin}. I must say it has paid off being taught by the best array of quilters around over the past 12 months - I wouldn't be were I am today without (etc etc...)

      Will you be able to join us in the sewing room tomorrow?

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the invite, but unlikely. I'm a 'gnats' away from finishing the new greenhouse staging and then I can sow some seeds, also have the nursery area in total disarray and am probably not even going to show up at the Keswick gardening club .... not enough hours in the day (again!)

      Delete
  4. Been there, done that, about envying those with more spare time to play. However, now that, in theory, I'm one of those fortunates, I want to know who shortened the day by a good few hours, so I still can't spend as much time playing as I would like to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So there is no hope for the great unwashed here, when those on your side of the divide still have scheduling difficulties?? *sigh.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...