Having been given a jelly roll and a quilting book for Christmas 2010, there is no excuse not to get on with quiltmaking.

Here's what happened next...



Pages

Wednesday 11 January 2012

'Now How to Quilt it'

Yes, Sand and Sunshine (who made the above comment earlier), how indeed?

ASding have been hugely efficient, and the postman bought me a huge squashy parcel of wadding earlier today (how's that for service? I only put the order in on Monday afternoon). I've found a couple of curtain linings to join together which will be perfect for the backing - so once I've made the sandwich and wielded the spray baste, I'm going to have to make my mind up.

Basically, I guess I have two broad choices:
  • An all over design - either a meander or single line loop pattern

  • Feature the blocks - with some sort of motif in each block then either meander the borders or a rather ambitious feather type quilting up the sashing/borders.
Lots of variations possible on the above, of course.

The all over design would blend all the elements in, but on the other hand, the blocks would feature more strongly with their own quilting - and if I was not feeling hugely confident with feathers (another new thing to learn) I could very happily stipple away on the sashing and inner borders, with something less dense on the outer border so it drapes nicely.

Hmm hmm hmmmm

3 comments:

  1. I think you have to decide if you want to make a big feature of the blocks, in which case motifs in them would be great, or if you want to do an allover, which is what I chose to do, and the quilt seems to lend itself to that somehow. Whatever you decide, I would suggest that you try to introduce some curves in feathers, spirals, flowers or whatever.

    There, that was no help at all, was it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out just perfect!! I bet your mom is going to be THRILLED!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, girls - it's take a lot of dithering, but nearly a week after this post, I think I am almost ready to make a start...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...