Having been given a jelly roll and a quilting book for Christmas 2010, there is no excuse not to get on with quiltmaking.

Here's what happened next...



Pages

Monday 23 May 2011

Three Down, Seventeen To Go...

Yep - this quilt-wrangling lark is getting a bit easier! Hurrah!


Having said that, I've still only quilted two motifs this evening in the hour & a quarter or so that my concentration span holds out for - but no matter, it is not a race, after all!

This quilt is not being particularly densely quilted, as I'm taking the advice that QuiltSue emailed at the end of January, when I was dithering on how to quilt my Project 1 placemats & runner.

She said, "The closeness of your lines is less important than that the spacing should be fairly even. In other words, you don't want say 2 lines an inch apart, then a six inch space before the next bit of quilting. The closer you do your quilting though the stiffer it will make your quilt".

I don't want to go mad with quilting the life out of the quilt as I want it to drape nicely, so the plan is to have the quilt stitching lines about a couple of inches apart all over, and mindful of this, I'm going to quilt an 'O' in the square in the middle of where the four motifs meet, which will also match the one in the centre of each flower.

5 comments:

  1. Looking good Hazel, I'm very impressed with this as your first big project - neat blocks, matching seams and custom quilting! It's a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is looking really great - I wish my first quilt or two (or 3 or 4) looked anything like as good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto what Sue said!

    You are doing brilliantly and it even sounds like you're starting to enjoy it. Quilt wrangling - another new skill you didn't think you would master this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is looking wonderful. Sorry, I've had the Blogger Beggaring About syndrome too and haven't been able to post.

    I really must stir my stumps and be a bit more adventurous in my quilting - but I'm always in a rush to do the next bit of patchwork!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, girls! :)

    I am enjoying myself immensely - although I am impatient to get to the next stage of quilting the borders & then binding so I can use it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...