Having been given a jelly roll and a quilting book for Christmas 2010, there is no excuse not to get on with quiltmaking.

Here's what happened next...



Pages

Saturday 11 June 2011

Christmas Quiltalong! June, pt4

Well, I must say that those quarter square jobbies are tricksey little numbers - but like everything, I guess that they are easier with practise - either that or my 'sensible approach' wasn't that sensible!

I figured that the method of cutting the squares into triangles, piecing into squares & squaring up would leave much room for error on the seams, so I made half square triangles then swapped them round to the right orientation (yeah - not as easy as it sounds), sewed across the opposite diagonal, cut, open up , and hey presto - quarter square triangles.

The difficulty is in seam matching the half square triangles, and I haven't done the best job in the world on these at all. I've redone a couple of them (three, I think, actually out of the eight) and I am a bit happier.

Of course, the star blocks aren't pieced yet, but it is time for a walk round the world to see what everyone else is up to, and I think that I have earned one of these too.......

Cheers!

7 comments:

  1. Your stars look lovely. Can you believe there is only one star left to go? I'm enjoying a cabernet sauvignon, so Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, maybe I should have written the directions to say ..."1) open bottle of wine. 2) Pour large glass and drink. 3)Begin making quarter square triangles!" Maybe I should have drank the wine BEFORE I wrote the directions! Seriously, I hope it wasn't too hard on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look good now. Quarter square triangles are not the easiest of things to do like this with bias edges, but it looks like you've done a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had a productive day, those blocks will go together quickly now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers to you for figuring out how to make the blocks. They are looking very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. well done Hazel, they are not the easiest blocks in the world (and there are other methods you could try which you might find suit you bettter)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to get onto the connecting blocks, Joanna - I have my fabric and I'm impatient to see how the layout will look!

    Yes, Sue, I was worried about the fabric stretching if I cut triangles to sew together to make the QST's - although I found matching the seams on the HST's difficult too. I would think that it's just practise that's needed.

    Thank you, Lynn!

    I may have a look online for other methods for piecing these, Bilbo(unless one of you clever girls have a handy guide...?), especially as the final blocks look to involve a variant of the QST's...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...