Having been given a jelly roll and a quilting book for Christmas 2010, there is no excuse not to get on with quiltmaking.

Here's what happened next...



Pages

Sunday 12 June 2011

Christmas Quiltalong! June, pt5

Certainly the tricky bit with these star blocks was those quarter square triangles - the piecing into blocks has gone together quite smoothly.

And I finally found out why some of the seam matching has been difficult, although I thought that my seams were pretty accurate. It's the cream fabric that I have used - it shrinks like mad when you press the seams.

I do hope that it has done all the shrinking that it is going to do because with 10 out of 12 blocks completed, I'm beggared if I'm going to start over!

The perils of using cloth of an unknown provenance, and of not washing and ironing it all to start with. What happened to my good intentions regarding this?

Right - time for dinner, then I am determined to quilt a couple of motifs on Spring Garden Trellis!

7 comments:

  1. Your blocks look wonderful Hazel! I confess, I don't prewash, but I don't use steam either, for exactly the shrinking reason. This is going to be beautiful when it's all done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice from Trudi - avoid steam if you have tricksy fabric.

    Been and re-read your 'good intentions' post - gulp, rather wish I hadn't said all that about fabric with unknown provenance .....

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: blocks still looking very impressive though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the last pic of all of your blocks together - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please, miss! I didn't use a steam setting on the iron, miss!

    I am a bit worried that the first time through the wash and all the cream bits of the quilt will shrink and I'll have a very lumpy quilt!

    It's all coming together now, isn't it, Joanna? I cannot tell you how much I am enjoying this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't add anything about the shrinking fabric, except "oops". As for good intentions, well we all know what happens to those don't we?

    Your stars look wonderful though. It's amazing to think that when you started them you were a complete novice to this quilting lark.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm philisophical about these things, Sue - the worst that can happen is the that quilt may end up with an 'interesting' texture after it is first washed!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...