Having been given a jelly roll and a quilting book for Christmas 2010, there is no excuse not to get on with quiltmaking.

Here's what happened next...



Pages

Saturday 11 February 2012

Ready for Something Chocolatey?

Now in our house, Christmas is not Christmas without a batch of TIFFIN being made.

This is a recipe from the lady my Mum used to work with in the 70's (eek!) and has been tweaked to our own taste (walnuts? Yuk - you can keep 'em). I confess that I have it year round now, but when I was growing up, Tiffin was a real Christmas treat.

So first of all, melt 4oz of hard butter with a tablespoon of syrup.


Whilst that is on the low heat, crush 6oz of almond biscuits or all butter biscuits in a bag & add 2 tablespoons of drinking chocolate, and 2 teaspoons of caster sugar. Add 2oz of chopped cherries and mix all together in the bag.

Add the dry ingredients to the pan & mix well, then transfer into a lined tray & press down well so that the mixture is just about an inch thick.




Chill for a couple hours in the fridge to harden, then pour over half a bar of melted chocolate. Put back in the fridge to harden, the cut into tiny conscience-salving squares.

Yum!

9 comments:

  1. Oh that looks so good Hazel! How about using Hazel Nuts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I was in your kitchen while you make this.. The aroma must be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was all sounding so good, until the end where you said I had to cut it into tiny pieces!

    I will have to try this, it sounds yummy, and I agree about the nuts - why waste good food by adding nuts to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look delicious and easy to make, but my version will include the nuts. One question; what syrup do you add with the butter? Is it sugar syrup?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm here, and what a delicious looking treat you've cooked up for us. Sure drummed up a crowd! Thanks for being a great hostess!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best part of reading this recipe was your words! The words are so different than the words we use here, I don't know what some of them mean! lol What is caster sugar? Is drinking chocolate the powder you mix with milk? Even love the butter "biscuits" part. Sounds so much nicer to me than "cookies"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious, I'm going to have to try this now :) Just added my linky :) Sorry I'm late!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great treat you made for us! I wish I could come right over now!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...