Having been given a jelly roll and a quilting book for Christmas 2010, there is no excuse not to get on with quiltmaking.

Here's what happened next...



Pages

Thursday 7 June 2012

Mystery Quilt Layout? pt2

Because I clearly have too much time on my hands, I have been contemplating further the conundrum of what the QuiltSue's Christmas Quiltalong Mystery Quilt blocks will look like.

As there are different quantities of each unit type, there's more to the layout of the block than just choosing nine squares and bunging them together - you have to select the units in proportion to how many there are in total or you are going to have a load of one sort left over.

Of course that would give you an interesting layout nonetheless, or as Joanna said 'I'm wondering if we should have done a version of '52 pick up' ... and see what design that made.' which gave me the absolutely best laugh out loud moment of the day.

So I went back to a bit of head scratching and I now think that there will be two block types - because it just wont work to use - say - four unit B and four unit D in each block as that's only one unit A background, and you'll have loads of backgrounds left.

Similarly, if you use - say two unit B and tow unit D in each block, and five unit A backgrounds, then the block will be terribly unbalanced.




So, I'm guessing on two block types which each use four or five unit A backgrounds then a combination of B and D.  Then any leftover unit A backgrounds are used as corner posts.

Maybe!

So if you want a good giggle, do head over to Paulette's on Saturday to see how many miles away I am from what the blocks really look like!

6 comments:

  1. I like the first two blocks you have because I think a star would be a nice block to have in the Christmas QAL. I agree that two blocks is a good probability. And Sue is just enjoying herself royally as we all knock ourselves out guessing. I think she would make a good party planner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I betcha she is! All will be clear in the morning though!

      Delete
  2. If this exercise has done nothing else, it's shown you that YOU can design things yourself :}

    Loving watching you have fun with all these units.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's just too much choice, Bilbo! Having a fab time, though, as you can see! :-)

      Delete
  3. I don't know about anyone else, but I am having so much fun with this little contest. Thanks so much for entering.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...