Having been given a jelly roll and a quilting book for Christmas 2010, there is no excuse not to get on with quiltmaking.

Here's what happened next...



Pages

Saturday 8 June 2013

Christmas QAL - June - post 2

Ok, people - I've been mucking about with my fabrics and graph paper and a pencil, scratching my head about what to make for the QAL Challenge.

Have you all been across to Joanna's place to see what we're up to on the QAL weekend?  If not, get over to her QAL tab and sign up to Mr Linky; take up the Challenge, and get your thinking caps on!

The first thing that I came up with was the thought that QuiltSue should not be allowed to set such a bloody difficult task - I ask you, a Christmas themed quilt without using red or green? Surely it's not natural!

Then I started to get the seeds of an idea, and over a cup of coffee and a copy of the Telegraph, I doodled a little something out.  Then I turned my doodle into a sketch ... and then I put my sketch onto graph paper.





I did some sums to make sure my graph paper design didn't break the size requirements and I am now happy with what I have.


I've even picked my fabrics - so I have a definite non-red, non-green Christmas table runner design!  Oh yes!

The next trick, of course, is to translate the design into a cutting list; but that will be later - for now, I'm celebrating by running around the world to see what you lot are up to!

12 comments:

  1. Oh, see, I am the non-traditional seasonal color person so this has been an easy thought. There are so many great blue/white-purple/silver - purple/gold - homespuns - oh, I could go on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should 'think outside the box' more often, Sharon - those are beautiful colour combos which work well for a Christmas theme.

      Delete
  2. I'm waitng to see who can make a sensational design using purple and orange or pink and yellow. Maybe it will be me. I like what I see so far of your table runner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it won't be me, Joanna - I'm playing safe with black/gold/cream/yellow/beige. But my candle flames are appliqued, which will be a new technique for me.

      Delete
  3. Oh no, not candles as that is what I came up with too, and even have mine designed and am going to go through my stash later today to see what I can find in non red/green. Don't worry as my candles are very different to yours and actually come from an old QNM free pattern and are arranged in my own setting. Curious? Will post something later today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds fab, Sue - can't wait to see what you've come up with!

      Delete
  4. You and QuiltSue have given me some good giggles today:} She's been weeding and you - who were never going to make a quilt - are now designing your own blocks from scratch!

    Clever girl, give us a shout if you need a hand sorting out a cutting plan (not that I think you will) :}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a certain irony there, which would be neatly symmetrical if you have done neither of these today! :-)

      Thanks for the offer of help on the cutting plan - it is needed as I have a slight conundrum which I can't quite get my head around (next post). It might be that my brain will come up with the answer whilst asleep - which is where I'm heading now!

      Delete
  5. Your idea is sounding great Hazel, and so are your colours.

    I did also see the neat symmetry between you, Bilbo and myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue!

      I'm going to break this new triangle later on when I go and plant out my runner beans at the Hill, but sewing first!

      Delete
  6. I'm checking everyone's blogs this morning looking for ideas and inspiration for this challenging challenge! lol Looks like candles are out since both you and Susan are doing them! lol Can't wait to see how yours comes out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do candles if you want, Reenie - they'll be your own take on the matter in hand. Just think how we all make the 'same' quilt last year and how different they all were!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...