Having been given a jelly roll and a quilting book for Christmas 2010, there is no excuse not to get on with quiltmaking.

Here's what happened next...



Pages

Monday 21 November 2011

Goldilocks and the Three Bears...

...or Make Your Bloody Mind Up.

I've been cogitating with regard to the colour of the thread used for the FMQ on Scatty Stars - inspecting closely what I've already done in the daylight, and consulting with colleague Rita, and my mother who happened to be around too.

The conclusion is the the light grey is too light, the dark grey is too dark as shown in the pic here.




I am now using a mid grey, and I'm not giving myself the option of changing my mind yet again - it looks better than either of the others, not overwhelming the quilt design, but not fading into nothingness either, so I'm happy.

Well, as happy as a girl with a whole heap of unpicking the too-light and the too-dark sewing can be anyway.

If that Hobbit even thinks, 'I told you to use a practise piece!', there will be trouble!

Hmph.

5 comments:

  1. The title of this post is too cute. Isn't funny how degrees of color make a real difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The unsewing will be worth it to make sure you have a quilt you are happy with at the end. If you carried on with either of the others, which you felt were not quite right, the quilting would have jumped out at you every time you saw it and, if you're like me, you'd end up putting it in a cupboard so you didn't have to look at it!

    Oh, and I'm sure Bilbo wouldn't be thinking anything of the sort - would you Bilbo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bilbo doesn't dare think ANYTHING at the moment .......

    Bilbo is probably damaged by the memory of unpicking a very large amount of dark blue thread from a blue & white quilt top many years ago ..... and doesn't like to think about that incident very often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww..poor Hazel! Knowing you will be happier with the medium gray is not going to make the "unsewing" any more fun, but it will make the quilt more enjoyable for you when it is done!! Can't wait to see it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hovver between 'it's amazing what a tiny difference makes to the outcome' and 'you get used to anything when it's done', Joanna, depending on my mood! It's the latter when I'm over my 1 1/2 hr quilting concentration zone...which I regret when I revisit what I've done on the next session, of course.

    The only things which are in the cupboard are shamefully unfinished projects (like my sage green long line cable jumper that I got out again to continue with - briefly - earlier in the year). If it's completed, I'm proud enough to show it - especially on the basis that you see your own mistakes far more than others do.

    Move on, Hobbit, move on ... there's a rumour of quilting being afoot at Bag End...?

    Thanks, Reenie - nearly done now, just the label/ends burying/binding to do!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...