Having been given a jelly roll and a quilting book for Christmas 2010, there is no excuse not to get on with quiltmaking.

Here's what happened next...



Pages

Monday 14 November 2011

Knowing When to Stop

At 6.30pm this evening, I sat down to quilt round the final five stars on Scatty Stars. I finished this at 8pm and I was so delighted with the result that I dived straight on to FMQ the railfence blocks. Whee!

The theory was to doodle about four stars in each block, linking them by going round the outside ditch of the railfence block. The stars looked great - the line of stitching around the edge of the block not so much. With the thickness of the seam to contend with and the free motion foot, the line was not only wavy, I also broke the thread a number of times.

Then I broke the needle.

Not to be thwarted, I undid that attempt, replaced the needle and dived in again with the walking foot, having decided that if blocks were going to be outlined, I could quilt in the ditch on the long seams, which would just leave the star(s) in the middle of each railfence block to FMQ.

I ploughed on, refreshing the thread in the bobbin, re-threaded the needle and was pleased to travel the entire diagonal length of the quilt with no further mishap.

Er - apart from not having replaced the bobbin back into the machine, that is.

Moral: when I say that I can only concentrate on quilting for an hour and a half, I mean it.

5 comments:

  1. That pesky bobbin. Yes, there's always tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Joanna said, plus the irritating fact that the quilting done without bobbin thread is always perfect - stitches exactly the right length, all in exactly the right place ..... it were ever thus (or some such nonsense!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooops. I think we've all been there and done that. I did it yesterday when sewing a couple of rows together on a top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! LOl I just had to laugh when I read this..sorry!! I have sooo had this same type of thing happen to me. Hope you have it all sorted out now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some things are just sent to try you, eh, girls? Nice to know that I'm not alone, though!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...